- Aerospace – piston engine manifolds
- Chemical Processing
- Expansion Joints
- Food Processing – equipment and storage
- Petroleum Refining – polythionic acid service
- Waste Treatment – thermal oxidizers
- ASTM/ASME: UNS S32100 / S32109
- EURONORM: 321 / 1.4541
- EURONORM: 321H / 1.4878
- exhibits good general corrosion resistance that is comparable to 304.
- developed for use in the chromium carbide precipitation range of 1800 – 1500°F (427 – 816°C) .
- can be used in most diluted organic acids at moderate temperatures .
- can be used in pure phosphoric acid at lower temperatures.
- can be used in up to 10% diluted solutions at elevated temperatures.
- resists polythionic acid stress corrosion cracking in hydrocarbon service.
- utilized in chloride or fluoride free caustic solutions at moderate temperatures.
- does not perform well in chloride solutions, even in small concentrations, or in sulfuric acid service.
- Grade 321/H can be easily welded and processed by standard shop fabrication practices.
- Working temperatures of 2100 – 2300°F (1149 – 1260°C) are recommended for forging, upsetting and other hot working processes.
- Alloy not suitable for work at temperatures below 1700°F (927°C).
- Material must be water quenched or fully annealed after working to re-attain maximum corrosion resistance.
- Quite ductile and forms easily.
- Readily welded by most standard processes.
- Post weld heat treatment is not necessary
- Hardening rate of 321 makes it less machinable than 410 stainless steel, but similar to 304
Cr Ni C Si Mn P S N Ti Fe 321
max: 0.08 max: 0.75 max: 2.0 max: 0.045 max: 0.03 max: 0.10 min:5*(C+N) max:0.70 Balance 321H min:17.0 max:19.0 min: 9.0 max:12.0 min:0.04 max:0.10 min:18.0 max:20.0 max:2.0 max:0.045 max:0.03 max:0.10 min:5*(C+N) max:0.70 Balance
Grade Tensile Strength ksi (min.) Yield Strength 0.2% Offset ksi (min.) Elongation - % in 50 mm (min.) Hardness (Brinell) MAX 321 75 30 40 217
Denstiy lbm/in3 Coefficient of Thermal Expansion (min/in)-°F Thermal Conductivity BTU/hr-ft-°F Specific Heat BTU/lbm -°F Modules of Elasticity (annealed)2-ps at 68 °F at 68 – 212°F at 68 – 1832°F at 200°F at 32 – 212° in tension (E) 0.286 9.2 20.5 9.3 0.12 28 x 10-6